I got asked If I could save this amp by a friend that as a rehearsal/recording studio. Everyone of the front XLR’s were shot and Peavey want more than the amp is worth for the parts
This said its a reasonable amp for a rehearsal room so I decided that Id sort it. First thing to do was get the case off and look at how the inputs were connected to the PCB.
As can be seen these are custom pcb mount XLR’s used by Peavey and was going to take a bit of ingenuity to fix. The main issue I had was how much room do I have to play with. Its tight but I decided that chassis mount XLR sockets (the one seen on stage boxes were the way forward.
These were a bit of a square peg in a round hole but at £9 a piece for the proper Peavey replacements (that I might add are shite) I was gonna make them work. After some filling drilling and pop riveting we had this.
I know not bang on but what do you expect its functional and will be 100 time more robust than them special Peavey sockets and in a rehearsal room they get punished day in day out.
After Making the new sockets fit I had the slight issue of having to make the connections on the back of the sockets reach were the old XLR’s once went. This was taken care of by using some shielded wire I had left from a multi-core I had just made up for another friend.
The connections are wired from the back of the sockets to the other side of the pcb and connected to were the Legs of he old XLR sockets once stood. This is a 100% better solution as now the pcb isn’t taking all the strain every time a mic lead is plugged in and out.
After reassembly the amp looks a bit different but it was never a marvel to look at in the first place not like it is a Soldano is it.
Well its a easy fix but took a good bit of time and I’m sure it will go on to provide a good few more year service.
Coming up is a Hammond organ and a VOX AC50 Ive just been really busy but Ive not forgot about the blog